Lassin 2011

A calling to serve the Lord by helping a village to rebuild their church building and minister to the children.

Monday, March 21, 2011

God Doesn't Need Me (7 Days)

"The vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. ...In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself.  Unless you know God as that -- and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison -- you do not know God at all. ...A proud man is always looking down on things and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you."  (Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis)

I struggle with pride.  It seems a paradox to me that the very talents that God gives us could tempt us to becoming overly proud.  The cure for pride is humility.  By that, I don't mean superficially redirecting compliments.  True humility can only exist when we believe that we're not good enough.  Believe me...as a stereotypically, 'pragmatic' man who wants to fix every problem, it's a hard pill to swallow.

I read a story told by L.B. Cowman today.  She tells of helping a moth escape its coccoon by cutting the narrow opening.  What she failed to realize was that the pressure exerted on a moth's wings when escaping from the narrow opening pushes blood to the wings, thereby helping the wings develop.  "I thought I was wiser and more compassionate than its Maker, so I resolved to give it a helping hand.  ("Streams in the Desert") 

This trip is a stark reminder that God doesn't need me.  I have no special talents for this trip.  Any evidence of my construction skills can be seen in the crooked treehouse at our old house.  I don't speak the language and have no special talents to connect with kids.  On this trip, I go because He called.  I follow where He and the team lead me.  There can be no doubt that credit for any good that comes of this trip go to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment