Lassin 2011

A calling to serve the Lord by helping a village to rebuild their church building and minister to the children.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Comforter: Objections and Answers (Pt 3)

Like many before me who have been called to service, I doubted (and may always doubt) my abilities -- physically, intellectually and spiritually. 

Three weeks in a foreign, less-developed area can be hard on the body.  We don't fully appreciate the comforts of our modern world until forced to live without.  How will by well-massaged back fare without our memory-foam mattress (or any mattress, for that matter)?  How well will I stomach foreign foods?  Will the mosquitoes that love the taste of me here love me any less there?  Will my body hold up well enough to help build a roof in about 1.5 weeks?  I can't know the answers to these questions until we're there.  It does help that since early December, Peg and I have been on a diet and exercise regimen.  It's certainly helped me to feel my age again (despite Wii Fit's contention that I'm a 50 year old).  And, it's trained my body and will to see food more as sustenance and less as pleasure.

Besides the physical service will provide, perhaps the more important part of our mission is to teach, encourage and, perhaps, lead some to Christ.  As a relatively new believer who came to the faith later in life, I still have a lot of growing to do myself.  Fortunately, I will be going with a group of more mature believers.  And, in my weakness, I will strive to grow...both leading up to the trip and beyond, in preparation for the next opportunity.

Last Sunday (not so coincidentally, the day I got the call from Gary), Peg and I attended a new church.  The verse guiding their missions ministry is Acts 1:8, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  So, in the end, none of these objections withstand the call of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment